When to prefer toDataStream over toAppendStream or toRetractStream?

When to prefer toDataStream over toAppendStream or toRetractStream?

Yik San Chan
Hi community,

Flink 1.13 introduces toDataStream. However, I wonder when do we prefer toDataStream overĀ toAppendStream or toRetractStream?

Thank you!

Best,
Yik San

Re: When to prefer toDataStream over toAppendStream or toRetractStream?

Timo Walther
Hi Yik San,

`toDataStream` and `toChangelogStream` are the new API's for a smooth
integration of Table API and DataStream API. You can find the full
documentation here:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.13/docs/dev/table/data_stream_api/

Since `toDataStream` and `toChangelogStream` are relatively new and the
latter is marked as @Experimental in 1.13. The old methods are still
kept around for some time. There are also some known issues like
FLINK-22666 and FLINK-22378 that will be fixed in 1.13.1.

`toAppendStream` or `toRetractStream` will be deprecated in 1.14.

So for now both methods are kind of equally important to get the job
done. But `toDataStream` and `toChangelogStream` are the stable
long-term solution in 1.13.1+.

Regards,
Timo