Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes

Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes

Mathias Peters

Re: Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes

Till Rohrmann
Hi Mathias,

the timeout exception means that the actor system could not be started. Usually this is the case if the hostname is not specified or if the hostname cannot be looked up. The best way to see what is happening is to turn on logging by providing a log4j.properties file with DEBUG logging. Additionally you can turn on akka logging by inserting akka.loglevel: DEBUG into the config file. A stripped down log4j config file looks the following:

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

I just tried to reproduce your problem on my machine, but I did not succeed. I started the JobManager with the config values

jobmanager.rpc.address: localhost
akka.loglevel: DEBUG

For debugging in general, it is important that now all blocking RPC calls have now a timeout with the latest Akka changes. Thus, by blocking or slowing down a receiving thread too long might trigger a timeout exception on the receiving side. One can solve this problem by setting akka.ask.timeout in the config to a high value. I'll also increase the default timeout for local execution in one of the next commits.

If you still have the debugging problem, could you then send me the log output.

Greets,

Till

Re: Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes

Mathias Peters

Hi Till,

turned out I chose the wrong confDir-Path. The directory didn't
contain the flink-conf.yaml. ;)

AkkaUtils tried to create the ActorSystem anyway so I didn't realize
at first.
I suggest a warning in case the conf files cannot be found.

Thanks for the reply!

Regards
Mathias

> On 05.01.2015 16:59, Till Rohrmann wrote:
>> I forgot to mention that the parameters you used are perfectly
>> correct.
>
>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Till Rohrmann
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Hi Mathias,
>>>
>>> the timeout exception means that the actor system could not be
>>> started. Usually this is the case if the hostname is not
>>> specified or if the hostname cannot be looked up. The best way
>>> to see what is happening is to turn on logging by providing a
>>> log4j.properties file with DEBUG logging. Additionally you can
>>> turn on akka logging by inserting akka.loglevel: DEBUG into
>>> the config file. A stripped down log4j config file looks the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1
>>> log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
>>> log4j.appender.A1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> [...]
>>>
>>> jobmanager.rpc.address: localhost akka.loglevel: DEBUG
>>>
>>> For debugging in general, it is important that now all
>>> blocking RPC calls have now a timeout with the latest Akka
>>> changes. Thus, by blocking or slowing down a receiving thread
>>> too long might trigger a timeout exception on the receiving
>>> side. One can solve this problem by setting akka.ask.timeout in
>>> the config to a high value. I'll also increase the default
>>> timeout for local execution in one of the next commits.
>>>
>>> If you still have the debugging problem, could you then send
>>> me the log output.
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>>
>>> Till
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Mathias Peters
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>> Hi everybody,
>
>> I'd like to start the JobManager in debug mode from within
>> Eclipse. I used "--configDir PATH_TO_CONFDIR --executionMode
>> local" as parameters. In earlier versions that was enough.
>> However, now I get a timeout exeption that stems from the akka
>> actor system.
>
>> I am using the latest snapshot build 0.9 and the stack trace is
>> at the bottom of the mail.
>
>> Am I missing something? Do I need to provide another parameter?
>
>> Thanks a lot and regards Mathias
>

>> Stack: Exception in thread "main"
>> java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Futures timed out after
>> [60000 milliseconds] at
>> scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.ready(Promise.scala:219)
>

> at
>> scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.result(Promise.scala:223)
>

> at
>> scala.concurrent.Await$$anonfun$result$1.apply(package.scala:107)
>>  at
>
>> scala.concurrent.BlockContext$DefaultBlockContext$.blockOn(BlockContext.scala:53)
>

> at scala.concurrent.Await$.result(package.scala:107)
>> at akka.remote.Remoting.start(Remoting.scala:180) at
>> akka.remote.RemoteActorRefProvider.init(RemoteActorRefProvider.scala:184)
>

> at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.liftedTree2$1(ActorSystem.scala:619)
>> at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start$lzycompute(ActorSystem.scala:616)
>

> at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start(ActorSystem.scala:616)
>> at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.start(ActorSystem.scala:633) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:142) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:119) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.create(ActorSystem.scala:67) at
>
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.akka.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:52)
>

> at
>
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.akka.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:40)
>

> at
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager$.main(JobManager.scala:464)
>

> at
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager.main(JobManager.scala)

Re: Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes

Stephan Ewen

Mathias,

That makes total sense. Do you want to open an issue for that?

In addition: what prevents us from allowing to start a local mode job manager without a config?

Stephan

Am 06.01.2015 08:38 schrieb "Mathias Peters" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

>> akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start$lzycompute(ActorSystem.scala:616)
>

> at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start(ActorSystem.scala:616)
>> at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.start(ActorSystem.scala:633) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:142) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:119) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.create(ActorSystem.scala:67) at
>
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.akka.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:52)
>

> at
>
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.akka.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:40)
>

> at
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager$.main(JobManager.scala:464)
>

> at
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager.main(JobManager.scala)

Re: Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes

Ah good to know. Yeah you're right, it does not make much sense to create a remote actor system where the hostname is null or empty. I'll add a fix for that.

Greetings,

Till

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Mathias Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start$lzycompute(ActorSystem.scala:616)
>

> at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start(ActorSystem.scala:616)
>> at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.start(ActorSystem.scala:633) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:142) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:119) at
>> akka.actor.ActorSystem$.create(ActorSystem.scala:67) at
>
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.akka.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:52)
>

> at
>
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.akka.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:40)
>

> at
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager$.main(JobManager.scala:464)
>

> at
>> org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager.main(JobManager.scala)

Re: Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes

Till Rohrmann-2
Sorry I saw the follow up mail too late.

There is no reason why we cannot start the job manager in local mode without a configuration. In fact, with the latest refactoring it does no longer require a hostname for the local mode.

Greets,

Till