Naive question

Mohit Singh
Hi,
  Good to see another interesting apache incubator project but I am just curious on what is flink trying to solve which spark is not currently addressing? I am sure you get this question a lot.. :)
Thanks

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Fabian Hueske
In fact, the use-cases of Spark and Flink overlap a bit. However, the technology used under the hood is quite different. Flink shares a lot of similarities with relational DBMS. Data is serialized in byte buffers and processed a lot in binary representation. This also allows for fine-grained memory control. Flink uses a pipelined processing model and it has a cost-based optimizer that selects execution strategies and avoids expensive partitioning and sorting steps. Moreover, Flink features a special kind of iterations (delta-iterations) that can significantly reduce the amount of computations as iterations go on (the vertex-centric computing model of Pregel / Giraph is a special kind of that).

Btw. The academic projects from which Spark and Flink originated started about the same time ;-)

Best, Fabian

Hi,
  Good to see another interesting apache incubator project but I am just curious on what is flink trying to solve which spark is not currently addressing? I am sure you get this question a lot.. :)
Thanks

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Mohit Singh
Cool... Thanks for the update..
What would be a good way to start contributing into flink.
I am comfortable with java but not so much on scala end but I would love to pick it up as I go..
But basically, is there a good starting place for start pitching in and contribute?

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Ufuk Celebi
Hey Mohit,

On 21 Oct 2014, at 02:11, Mohit Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool... Thanks for the update..
> What would be a good way to start contributing into flink.
> I am comfortable with java but not so much on scala end but I would love to pick it up as I go..
> But basically, is there a good starting place for start pitching in and contribute?

Great to hear that you are interested in contributing. :) It is not necessary to know Scala, because the core runtime is written in Java for the most part.

As first steps I would suggest the following:
- Have a look at the contribution guide here [1].
- We try to assign all issues to system components [2]. This might help you to get an overview about which parts of the system are interesting to you.

Does this help as a starting point? We can then discuss specific issues here on the mailing list or in the respective issue.

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

Re: Naive question

Mohit Singh

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Ufuk Celebi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Mohit,

On 21 Oct 2014, at 02:11, Mohit Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool... Thanks for the update..
> What would be a good way to start contributing into flink.
> I am comfortable with java but not so much on scala end but I would love to pick it up as I go..
> But basically, is there a good starting place for start pitching in and contribute?

Great to hear that you are interested in contributing. :) It is not necessary to know Scala, because the core runtime is written in Java for the most part.

As first steps I would suggest the following:
- Have a look at the contribution guide here [1].
- We try to assign all issues to system components [2]. This might help you to get an overview about which parts of the system are interesting to you.

Does this help as a starting point? We can then discuss specific issues here on the mailing list or in the respective issue.

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Fabian Hueske
Hi Mohit,

that would be a good issue to start with.
Unfortunately, I assigned the issue to myself an started working on it. However, I am not done yet.
If you like, you can pick up the issue and either continue with what I did so far [1] or start all over.
Just let me know...

Another option would be to extend the Hadoop Compatibility Layer. Right now, we have wrappers for Hadoop's mapred-API function (Mapper, Reducer), but not for the mapreduce-API functions [2]. Having wrappers for mapreduce-API functions would also be cool. There is no JIRA for this issue yet.

And then there are of course plenty of other issues ;-)

Cheers, Fabian

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Ufuk Celebi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Mohit,

On 21 Oct 2014, at 02:11, Mohit Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool... Thanks for the update..
> What would be a good way to start contributing into flink.
> I am comfortable with java but not so much on scala end but I would love to pick it up as I go..
> But basically, is there a good starting place for start pitching in and contribute?

Great to hear that you are interested in contributing. :) It is not necessary to know Scala, because the core runtime is written in Java for the most part.

As first steps I would suggest the following:
- Have a look at the contribution guide here [1].
- We try to assign all issues to system components [2]. This might help you to get an overview about which parts of the system are interesting to you.

Does this help as a starting point? We can then discuss specific issues here on the mailing list or in the respective issue.

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Fabian Hueske
Hi Mohit,

I saw you created a JIRA issue for the Hadoop mapreduce function wrappers.
Shall I assign the issue to you, so everybody knows you are working on it?

Best, Fabian

Hi Mohit,

that would be a good issue to start with.
Unfortunately, I assigned the issue to myself an started working on it. However, I am not done yet.
If you like, you can pick up the issue and either continue with what I did so far [1] or start all over.
Just let me know...

Another option would be to extend the Hadoop Compatibility Layer. Right now, we have wrappers for Hadoop's mapred-API function (Mapper, Reducer), but not for the mapreduce-API functions [2]. Having wrappers for mapreduce-API functions would also be cool. There is no JIRA for this issue yet.

And then there are of course plenty of other issues ;-)

Cheers, Fabian

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Ufuk Celebi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Mohit,

On 21 Oct 2014, at 02:11, Mohit Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool... Thanks for the update..
> What would be a good way to start contributing into flink.
> I am comfortable with java but not so much on scala end but I would love to pick it up as I go..
> But basically, is there a good starting place for start pitching in and contribute?

Great to hear that you are interested in contributing. :) It is not necessary to know Scala, because the core runtime is written in Java for the most part.

As first steps I would suggest the following:
- Have a look at the contribution guide here [1].
- We try to assign all issues to system components [2]. This might help you to get an overview about which parts of the system are interesting to you.

Does this help as a starting point? We can then discuss specific issues here on the mailing list or in the respective issue.

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Mohit Singh
Hi Fabian,
  Yeah, that would be great :)
Thanks

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mohit,

I saw you created a JIRA issue for the Hadoop mapreduce function wrappers.
Shall I assign the issue to you, so everybody knows you are working on it?

Best, Fabian

Hi Mohit,

that would be a good issue to start with.
Unfortunately, I assigned the issue to myself an started working on it. However, I am not done yet.
If you like, you can pick up the issue and either continue with what I did so far [1] or start all over.
Just let me know...

Another option would be to extend the Hadoop Compatibility Layer. Right now, we have wrappers for Hadoop's mapred-API function (Mapper, Reducer), but not for the mapreduce-API functions [2]. Having wrappers for mapreduce-API functions would also be cool. There is no JIRA for this issue yet.

And then there are of course plenty of other issues ;-)

Cheers, Fabian

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Ufuk Celebi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Mohit,

On 21 Oct 2014, at 02:11, Mohit Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool... Thanks for the update..
> What would be a good way to start contributing into flink.
> I am comfortable with java but not so much on scala end but I would love to pick it up as I go..
> But basically, is there a good starting place for start pitching in and contribute?

Great to hear that you are interested in contributing. :) It is not necessary to know Scala, because the core runtime is written in Java for the most part.

As first steps I would suggest the following:
- Have a look at the contribution guide here [1].
- We try to assign all issues to system components [2]. This might help you to get an overview about which parts of the system are interesting to you.

Does this help as a starting point? We can then discuss specific issues here on the mailing list or in the respective issue.

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Fabian Hueske
Done!
I'm very happy that you're joining the community  :-)

Welcome!
Fabian

Hi Fabian,
  Yeah, that would be great :)
Thanks

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mohit,

I saw you created a JIRA issue for the Hadoop mapreduce function wrappers.
Shall I assign the issue to you, so everybody knows you are working on it?

Best, Fabian

Hi Mohit,

that would be a good issue to start with.
Unfortunately, I assigned the issue to myself an started working on it. However, I am not done yet.
If you like, you can pick up the issue and either continue with what I did so far [1] or start all over.
Just let me know...

Another option would be to extend the Hadoop Compatibility Layer. Right now, we have wrappers for Hadoop's mapred-API function (Mapper, Reducer), but not for the mapreduce-API functions [2]. Having wrappers for mapreduce-API functions would also be cool. There is no JIRA for this issue yet.

And then there are of course plenty of other issues ;-)

Cheers, Fabian

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Ufuk Celebi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Mohit,

On 21 Oct 2014, at 02:11, Mohit Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool... Thanks for the update..
> What would be a good way to start contributing into flink.
> I am comfortable with java but not so much on scala end but I would love to pick it up as I go..
> But basically, is there a good starting place for start pitching in and contribute?

Great to hear that you are interested in contributing. :) It is not necessary to know Scala, because the core runtime is written in Java for the most part.

As first steps I would suggest the following:
- Have a look at the contribution guide here [1].
- We try to assign all issues to system components [2]. This might help you to get an overview about which parts of the system are interesting to you.

Does this help as a starting point? We can then discuss specific issues here on the mailing list or in the respective issue.

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Mohit Singh
Great.
And So am I.  :)
Looking forward to learn things and contribute back.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Flavio Pompermaier
Sorry for the intrusion but you mentioned the differences between Spark and Flink..what is not clear to me if Apache Drill is a less architectured version of Flink or something very similar..could someone give me a clarification on this?

Best,
Flavio

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Mohit Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

Re: Naive question

Fabian Hueske
Sure, no problem :-)

Drill is a SQL engine and therefore in the same league as Apache Hive, Apache Tajo, or Cloudera's Impala.

Flink (and Spark) focus on use cases that exceed pure SQL (+ a few UDFs) such as Graph processing, Machine Learning, and very custom data flows.

Best, Fabian

> [...]

– Ufuk

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."
-Socrates

--
Mohit

"When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success."

I should add that Flink also works well for relational use cases (see the examples).
However, It does not offer a SQL interface which means that a query must be implemented as a "handcrafted" data flow consisting of operators such as filter, join, project, and group.

Adding a SQL interface (such as Spark) should be possible without changing a lot of the internals. However, nobody in the community is currently putting a focus on that, AFAIK.