JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

Fotis P
Hello everyone,

I am getting this weird exception while running some simple counting jobs in Flink.

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClient.submitJobAndWait(JobClient.java:164)
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.submitJobAndWait(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:198)
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.submitJobAndWait(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:188)
    at org.apache.flink.client.LocalExecutor.executePlan(LocalExecutor.java:179)
    at org.apache.flink.api.java.LocalEnvironment.execute(LocalEnvironment.java:54)
    at trackers.preprocessing.ExtractInfoFromLogs.main(ExtractInfoFromLogs.java:133)
    at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:134)
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Futures timed out after [100000 milliseconds]
    at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.ready(Promise.scala:219)
    at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.result(Promise.scala:223)
    at scala.concurrent.Await$$anonfun$result$1.apply(package.scala:107)
    at scala.concurrent.BlockContext$DefaultBlockContext$.blockOn(BlockContext.scala:53)
    at scala.concurrent.Await$.result(package.scala:107)
    at scala.concurrent.Await.result(package.scala)
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClient.submitJobAndWait(JobClient.java:143)
    ... 10 more

The only call above which comes from my code is ExtractInfoFromLogs.java:133 which is the environment.execute() method.

This exception comes when dealing with largish files (>10GB). No exception is thrown when I am working with a smaller subset of my data.
Also I would swear that it was working fine until a few days ago, and the code has not been changed :S Only change was a re-import of maven dependencies.

I am unsure what other information I could provide that would help you help me :)

I am running everything locally through the intelij IDE. Maven dependency is set to 0.9-SNAPSHOT.
I have an 8-core Ubuntu 14.04 machine.

Thanks in advance :D

Re: JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

Stephan Ewen

You are on the latest snapshot version? I think there is an inconsistency in there. Will try to fix that toning.

Can you actually use the milestone1 version? That one should be good.

Greetings,
Stephan

Am 14.04.2015 20:31 schrieb "Fotis P" <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Thanks in advance :D

Re: JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

Mohamed Nadjib MAMI
Hello,

Once I got the message, few seconds, I received your email. Well, this just to cast a need for a fix.

Happy to feel the dynamism of the work. Great work.

--
Regards, Grüße, Cordialement, Recuerdos, Saluti, προσρήσεις, 问候, تحياتي. Mohamed Nadjib Mami
PhD Student - EIS Department - Bonn University, Germany.
About me!
LinkedIn

Re: JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

Stephan Ewen
I pushed a fix to the master. The problem should now be gone.

Please let us know if you experience other issues!

Greetings,
Stephan

LinkedIn

Re: JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

Mohamed Nadjib MAMI
Hello,

I'm still facing the problem with 0.9-SNAPSHOT version. Tried to remove the libraries and download them again but same issue.

Greetings,
Mohamed

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClient.submitJobAndWait(JobClient.java:164)
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.submitJobAndWait(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:198)
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.submitJobAndWait(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:188)
    at org.apache.flink.client.LocalExecutor.executePlan(LocalExecutor.java:179)
    at org.apache.flink.api.java.LocalEnvironment.execute(LocalEnvironment.java:54)
    at Main.main(Main.java:142)
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Futures timed out after [100000 milliseconds]
    at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.ready(Promise.scala:219)
    at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.result(Promise.scala:223)
    at scala.concurrent.Await$$anonfun$result$1.apply(package.scala:107)
    at scala.concurrent.BlockContext$DefaultBlockContext$.blockOn(BlockContext.scala:53)
    at scala.concurrent.Await$.result(package.scala:107)
    at scala.concurrent.Await.result(package.scala)
    at org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClient.submitJobAndWait(JobClient.java:143)
    ... 5 more

On 15.04.2015 01:02, Stephan Ewen wrote:
[...]

About me!
LinkedIn

LinkedIn

Re: JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

Ufuk Celebi
On 15 Apr 2015, at 14:18, Maximilian Michels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The exception indicates that you're still using the old version. It takes some time for the new Maven artifact to get deployed to the snapshot repository. Apparently, a artifact has already been deployed this morning. Did you delete the jar files in your .m2 folder?

I think that's what he meant.

The problem is that the snapshot repositories take some time to synchronize.

Please
1. git clone https://github.com/apache/flink.git
2. cd flink
3. mvn clean install -DskipTests

This way you build Flink yourself and are guaranteed to work on a version with the fix.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Does this solve it?

– Ufuk

Re: JobTimeoutException: Lost connection to JobManager

Fotis P
Hello all,

I am glad to report that the problem has been resolved.

The new version appears to have been pushed in maven already, since all I did was "re-import dependencies" from InteliJ menu.

Thank you very much for the very quick response.

Fotis