Guidance for Integration Tests with External Technologies

Guidance for Integration Tests with External Technologies

Rion Williams
Hey all,

I’ve been taking a very TDD-oriented approach to developing many of the Flink apps I’ve worked on, but recently I’ve encountered a problem that has me scratching my head.

A majority of my integration tests leverage a few external technologies such as Kafka and typically a relational database like Postgres. I’ve found in-memory/embedded versions of these that have worked well in the past to allow me to:

- send messages into a kafka topic
- run my exact Flink job asynchronously
- verify my results / assertions in Postgres via awaitility

Recently, I had a use case for Broadcast state for a job and found that my tests would run successfully when executed directly but multiple tests run in sequence (in the same file), it seems that Flink would fail to consume from the topics and eventually fail the assertion.

I’ve tried several approaches including:
- ensuring that each Flink job is passed a unique consumer.id / group.id / application.id
- ensuring each test has brand new Kafka topics specific for it
- spinning up a new Flink cluster / Kafka cluster / Postgres instance per test

I’m not entirely sure what could be causing the problem but it only occurs for Flink jobs that read from two topics and leverage broadcast state. All other integration tests that use Kafka/Flink/Postgres still pass and can be run in sequence.

Any advice / examples / recommendations would be helpful. l’d be happy to elaborate and provide code whenever possible as well.

Thanks,

Rion

Re: Guidance for Integration Tests with External Technologies

Yun Gao
Hi Rion,

Do you mean you are running the tests directly in the IDE like Idea  for "multiple tests run in sequence" ?
If the test could be successful when running separately, but would fail when running in sequence, then
it seems there other tests should still infect on the failed tests.

For the consume failure, is there errors or the flink just fetchs no data? From the description I reckon
the failure might not related to the flink job structure, if we have suspections on this point, could we
change it to a simpler job first to see if the fetched kafka records satisfy expection ?

Best,
Yun