Flink Hackathon in Stockholm (October 8th / 9th)

Flink Hackathon in Stockholm (October 8th / 9th)

Stephan Ewen
Hi everyone!

I am happy to announce that we will be having two Hackathons on Apache Flink in Stockholm, on October 8th and 9th (some of us will be there on the 10th as well, so we can extend it even).

The topics are:

 - Data Streaming applications on Apache Flink - Applications, Fault Tolerance, and general improvements with/to the experimental streaming API

 - Graph Processing - Brain storming and hacking on a prototype of the Graph processing DSL

So far, we have as topic-leaders / participants:

  Streaming:
   - Marton Balassi
   - Gyula Fora
   - Paris Carbone
   - Hermann Gabor
   - Jonas Traub
   - Stephan Ewen

  Graph DSL
   - Vasia Kalavri
   - Martin Neumann
   - Stephan Ewen
   - Kostas Tzoumas

Anyone who is interested, let us know!

Greetings,
Stephan

Re: Flink Hackathon in Stockholm (October 8th / 9th)

Stephan Ewen
I forgot to mention:

The Hackthons will be located at SICS/KTH in Stockholm (https://www.google.de/maps/search/sics/@59.4040169,17.9537283,16z)

Details on exact times and rooms will follow.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Stephan Ewen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Anirvan BASU
Hello,

We are starting to work with Flink (since 0.5.2) for realising some use cases at INRIA.
Both the topics suggested are definitely of immediate interest in our work.

My initial question:
Is this an event for "thinking giants" only?
OR are small novices (like me) allowed to "watch in" ?
(And of course, if you want active participation in brainstorming sessions, I can lend my mouth ...)

Thanks for your consideration,
Anirvan

Re: Flink Hackathon in Stockholm (October 8th / 9th)

Gyula Fóra-2
Hey Anirvan,

You are of course very welcome to join!
This is definitely not an event only for thinking giants because than probably not many people would show up :)

There are a lot of new things to play around with, and also there will be a lot of brainstorming regarding future development which you will probably find interesting if you are using Flink.

Regards,
Gyula

On 18 Sep 2014, at 10:20, Anirvan BASU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are starting to work with Flink (since 0.5.2) for realising some use cases at INRIA.
> Both the topics suggested are definitely of immediate interest in our work.
>
> My initial question:
> Is this an event for "thinking giants" only?
> OR are small novices (like me) allowed to "watch in" ?
> (And of course, if you want active participation in brainstorming sessions, I can lend my mouth ...)
>
> Thanks for your consideration,
> Anirvan

Kostas Tzoumas
Anirvan: it is 100% OK to come to the any of the events you are interested in. Learning by osmosis is the best way to learn.

Kostas

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Paris Carbone <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

We had a discussion yesterday at SICS with Martin Neumann regarding newcomers and development groups. Even though the stream and graph teams solely will focus on “core” prototypes and ideas it would be nice to have a small workshop for newcomers as well.  Having newcomers in the core groups would be too much overhead.

The conclusion was to announce the event in general to our university mailists and friends and then organise a small introductory workshop for new interested developers appropriately depending on the interest. If any newcomers want to participate in the hacking sessions we can assign them some short application level tasks (eg. implementing a machine learning algorithm). What do you think? Any volunteers? I guess we can have a couple of introductory presentations on that.

We also need to track who is interested to plan for more rooms if needed. Here is a sample registration form on Google docs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dDZnMlRtZHJ3Z0hVTlFZVjU2MWtoX0E6MA

If it is ok with you fill it in and let me know to disseminate it further. Any other suggestions are also welcome!

cheers
Paris

________________________________

Re: Flink Hackathon in Stockholm (October 8th / 9th)

Anirvan BASU
Kostas et al,

Thanks for all your encouragement.
I will definitely be interested to join in.

I will check first with my supervisors at INRIA and confirm my presence.
In any case, I look forward to hearing / reading the outcomes of the discussions.

Best!
Anirvan

Re: Flink Hackathon in Stockholm (October 8th / 9th)

Anirvan BASU
Hello Kostasm Paris and others,

I have finally the green signal from our research director at INRIA for attending the Hackathon at KTH Stockholm.

My goals in attending the hackathon are the following:

Short-term - User perspective (right now):
- Understanding clearly the technical "entry-points" for programming with Flink
- Getting to know the right persons to ask the right questions (instead of thowing my issues to everyone).
- Also, understanding the known issues what has been discussed, how they have resolved.
- This is required for rolling-up our sleeves and getting into serious programming in our EIT-ICT project work.

Mid-term - architectural perspective (in coming months):
- Transcending to a better understanding of the architecture of the different components
- The relative performances in the different areas - graph-based algorithms, machine learning, relational aspects.
- This towards developing a clear and precise comparison with 2 other distributed frameworks - Hadoop (baseline) and Spark (similar).
  We plan to publish a conference article soon.

Long-term - enhancement perspective (beginning of next year)
- For the coming 2 years (starting next year), I will be involved in a core project for enhancing our Grid'5000 tailored to Big Data frameworks - Hadoop, Flink, Spark are the candidates.
- Adapting a Software Defined Network, 1-click deployment and better virtualisation are also the key goals of this project.
- As I know ( a little) of Flink, it will be the first candidate to thrust forward.
- In this regard, we will be developing modules that can communicate with switches (through SDN controllers layer) to adapt job scheduling and network resources vice-versa.
- I am also analysing and comparing speculative execution policies in the presence/absence of generic resource managers (YARN, Mesos)

Given the above, I believe that our Grid'5000 project and the Flink evolution are Win-Win complementaries.
All that said, I plan to observe and listen to most of your discussions, make friends and perhaps ask a few stupid questions to embarrass myself ...
Have some baggage with strictly-typed langs (Java, C++) jack-of-all-trades with dynamic langs (Python, R - good for Big Data analytics) and recently learning to appreciate Scala (million thanks to Vasiliki and Aljoscha).
Have read some fo your presentations and scientific papers. So won't go totally dumb.
Feel free to place me in any gathering you feel, even at the corner of a room if required.

I hope we can all live up to my presence in your Hackathon and benefit from there.

And now the local Vikings, if you can help me to find me a reasonable accommodation in the city centre, I would feel very motivated to appreciate your beautiful city in this autumn weather.

Thank you so much for your help and understanding!
Anirvan