Flink 0.6

Flavio Pompermaier
Hi all,
I saw that this first apache release of Apache Flink is available for download but I haven't seen any official news about that. Is it usable? Why there's a release version for hadoop 2 and one for yarn?
What is the difference between them?

Thanks in advance,
Flavio

Re: Flink 0.6

rmetzger0
Hi,

I have prepared the website for the new release yesterday. I hope we'll publish an announcement today on the website.
The release is well tested and should be very usable.

The "hadoop2" version is for users who want to install Flink on the "bare metal" but use a Hadoop 2.2.0+ HDFS.
The "hadoop2"+"yarn" version is for users who don't want to install Flink directly on the machines but use YARN to start it.
I'll extend the download page to clarify this.

Best,
Robert

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Flavio Pompermaier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
I saw that this first apache release of Apache Flink is available for download but I haven't seen any official news about that. Is it usable? Why there's a release version for hadoop 2 and one for yarn?
What is the difference between them?

Thanks in advance,
Flavio

Re: Flink 0.6

Flavio Pompermaier
Thank you very much Robert and congratulations for the great work!
I'm looking forward to start using it!
Just one last question: is the streaming part reliable at the moment? Is there also some related quickstart example?

Best,
Flavio

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Flavio

Re: Flink 0.6

rmetzger0
Hi,

thank you.
The streaming component is not part of the 0.6 release. There is no documentation yet, but I hope that is changing soon (see related issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1058).
But I think the code contains some examples you can look into.
Concerning reliability: I have not tested the streaming myself yet, so I can not really make a statement. I think it is quite stable, and you can certainly try it out.
Please give us feedback or report issues you find while using it.

Best,
Robert