Delta-Iteration: Runtime-Error "Could not set up runtime strategy for input channel to node"

Delta-Iteration: Runtime-Error "Could not set up runtime strategy for input channel to node"

Stefan Bunk
Hello,

I built a plan using Delta-Iteration, however, at runtime, when the plan is executed, I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" eu.stratosphere.compiler.CompilerPostPassException: Could not set up runtime strategy for input channel to node ''. Missing type information for field 0
I have no idea, where to look now, can anyone help?

In case it is needed, please find below a description of the problem and the code, as well as the stacktrace:
Usecase:
I have a  list of edges like this (lets call them base links):
a --> b
e --> f

And a set of (lets call them additional links):
b --> c
c --> d
f --> g

I want to transitively follow the base links using the additional links, so that I finally have:
a --> d (over b and c)
e --> g

That's the problem, here's my delta iteration code (Not sure, what's best practice for the code - append to the email or attach?):

override def getPlan(args: String*): Plan = {
// store the orig destination as well, because we need it for the key in the delta iteration
case class BaseLink(from: String, origTo: String, to: String)
case class AdditionalLink(from: String, to: String)

// load datasets
val baseLinks       = DataSource(baseLinkPath, CsvInputFormat[BaseLink]("\n", '\t'))
val additionalLinks = DataSource(additionalLinkPath, CsvInputFormat[AdditionalLink]("\n", '\t'))

def iterate(s: DataSet[BaseLink], ws: DataSet[BaseLink]) = {
// first, join base links "to" with additional links "from", to do one resolving step
val resolvedLinks = ws.join(additionalLinks)
.where { case BaseLink(from, to, orig) => to }
.isEqualTo { case AdditionalLink(from, to) => from }
.map { case (baseLink, additionalLink) =>
// If we had base link a --> b, and additional link b --> c, we now have a --> c
BaseLink(baseLink.from, baseLink.origTo, additionalLink.to)
}
// now, join with the solution set to build the solution delta and the next working set
val nextWs = s.join(resolvedLinks)
.where { cl => (cl.to, cl.origTo) }
.isEqualTo { cl => (cl.to, cl.origTo) }
.map { (orig, resolved) =>
orig
}
// nextWs is solution delta as well
(nextWs, nextWs)
}
// start iteration, key is combination of from and orig to, e.g. a --> b
val resolvedLinks = baseLinks
.iterateWithDelta(baseLinks, { cl => (cl.from, cl.origTo) }, iterate, 10)
.map { cl => (cl.from, cl.to) }

val output = resolvedLinks.write(resolvedLinksPath,
CsvOutputFormat[(String, String)]("\n", "\t"))
val plan = new ScalaPlan(Seq(output))
plan
}

Here's the whole stacktrace:
Exception in thread "main" eu.stratosphere.compiler.CompilerPostPassException: Could not set up runtime strategy for input channel to node ''. Missing type information for field 0
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.postpass.GenericFlatTypePostPass.traverse(GenericFlatTypePostPass.java:316)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.postpass.GenericFlatTypePostPass.traverse(GenericFlatTypePostPass.java:228)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.postpass.GenericFlatTypePostPass.propagateToChannel(GenericFlatTypePostPass.java:499)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.postpass.GenericFlatTypePostPass.traverse(GenericFlatTypePostPass.java:313)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.postpass.GenericFlatTypePostPass.propagateToChannel(GenericFlatTypePostPass.java:499)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.postpass.GenericFlatTypePostPass.traverse(GenericFlatTypePostPass.java:91)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.postpass.GenericFlatTypePostPass.postPass(GenericFlatTypePostPass.java:66)
at eu.stratosphere.api.scala.ScalaPostPass.postPass(ScalaPlan.scala:77)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.PactCompiler.compile(PactCompiler.java:744)
at eu.stratosphere.compiler.PactCompiler.compile(PactCompiler.java:553)
at eu.stratosphere.client.LocalExecutor.optimizerPlanAsJSON(LocalExecutor.java:320) // error happens as well, when I directly call LocalExecutor.execute

Thanks in advance!
Stefan

Re: Delta-Iteration: Runtime-Error "Could not set up runtime strategy for input channel to node"

Aljoscha Krettek
Hi Stefan,
sorry for the delay, I'm on vacation right now. :D

I just want you to know I'm looking into this.

Aljoscha

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Stefan Bunk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stephan Ewen
Hi Aljoscha!

Let me know what you find. I am away today, but might have some time to follow up later tonight.

Stephan

Re: Delta-Iteration: Runtime-Error "Could not set up runtime strategy for input channel to node"

Aljoscha Krettek
Hi Stefan,
sorry for the late reply but I finally found whats wrong: In Delta Iterations, the key you specify in the iterateWithDelta method and in the join with the solution set has to be the same. In your join you are using: where { cl => (cl.to, cl.origTo) } and in the iterateWithDelta call you are using { cl => (cl.from, cl.origTo) }. Is it possible for your algorithm to use the same key in both positions?

Cheers,
Aljoscha

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Aljoscha,

thanks for the reply. Yes, I could get it working.

Why do I actually have to join with the solution set? In my case, this is a no-op. The data set is the same before and after the join. I am doing it only, because I have to.
Am I using it wrong?

Cheers
Stefan

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

yes, delta iterations are not very intuitive right now. Your join with the solution set from the previous step to get at the data. The result of that join must then be the result of the iteration and is used to update the solution set before the next iteration.

We are working on making iterations more intuitive for our 0.7 release. Then we would have explicit methods to update the solution instead of the join.

Cheers,
Aljoscha